The two biggest distractions I’ve found when working from home are:
- Housework. There’s always laundry to fold, dishes to wash, tables to tidy. It’s a great way to procrastinate without feeling like you’re procrastinating.
- The Internet. Yes, it’s distracting anywhere. But without anyone walking by or looking over your shoulder, it’s that much worse.
Here are some ways to combat distractions. Many of these have worked for me, and some come recommended from others:
- Put your phone out of sight. Out of sight, out of mind.
- Use an Internet blocker. Focus is a good one. You can set a certain amount of time, and it’ll block distracting websites and apps.
- Schedule a time for housework. Give yourself a set amount of time and you’ll be shocked how quickly you can clean.
- Get a change of scenery. If one environment isn’t working for you, decamp to a coffee shop or similar.
- Get up and move around to reset. Move around a little, make some tea or coffee, and stretch your legs before coming back to work. Sometimes that’s the reset that helps.
- Turn on one song, album, or playlist on repeat. It works! Pro tip: try it with thank u, next by Ariana Grande.